Skip to content
Popcorn Cake Course
Step 1 - Making Popcorn
- Tip one - Color white fondant with yellow gel food coloring. Mix only until it looks marbled white and yellow
- Tip two - roll a small piece of fondant into a ball and use fondant tools shown and your fingers to form into popcorn shapes. Do different sizes.
- Tip three - when putting two pieces together use water to glue them
Step 2 - Popcorn Details
- Tip one - Use brown food coloring (using Americolor in video)
- Tip two - With a small pointed paint brush, lightly paint lines in the "kernel" area. Press harder in the center and lift the brush as you go so it's darker in the center and lighter as you move away.
Step 3 - Stacking Cake
- Tip one - place first, leveled cake layer on cake turntable. This layer needs to be on cardboard. Place desired amount of buttercream in center of the cake and spread evenly staying within the edge of the cake.
- Tip two - place 2nd layer of cake on top of the first layer and repeat by putting the desired amount of buttercream.
- Tip three - place 3rd layer of cake and place on top of 2nd layer.
Step 4 - Carving Cake
- Tip one - for popcorn box shape it is squared on top and gradually goes inward towards the bottom in a square shape.
- Tip two - use a template if needed and mark where to cut before you start carving.
- Tip three - Be frugal with your carving. Take it slow. If you take too much off, you can't put it back.
Step 5 - Crumb Coat
- Tip one - Have a separate clean bowl to clean off your spatula so that crumbs don't get mixed into your clean buttercream.
- Tip two - spread a layer of buttercream around the whole cake keeping your spatula up right and level with the cake.
- Tip three - Do the top of the cake last and then go around and square/smooth up the edges making sure you clean off your spatula each time. Stick in the refrigerator to harden frosting.
Step 6 - Additional Frosting Layers
- Tip one - Take cake out of the fridge and place another layer of buttercream around the whole cake making sure edges are smooth and squared off. Place back in fridge.
- Tip two - you can keep adding additional layers. The more you do the smoother the fondant looks. For this cake you only need a crumb coat and one additional layer of buttercream.
Step 7 - Fondant Prep
- Tip one - Roll out white fondant onto surface sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll out to about ¼ inch thick.
- Tip two - measure one side of the cake top to bottom and cut out the shape you need. Make sure to make it a little longer on the top so it hangs above the cake. Use that shape to cut out 3 more just like it.
Step 8 - Fondant Placement
- Tip one - take cake out of fridge. Take one of your cut out shapes and place one one side of the cake starting from the bottom using your hand or fondant smoother.
- Tip two - once side is placed use fondant smoother to to smooth and help adhere to the buttercream. Repeat on all sides.
- Tip three - Don't worry if edges don't fully get covered. You can cover that up with the red stripes.
Step 9 -Red Fondant Stripes Prep
- Tip one - Roll out red fondant on a surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Roll out to about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick
- Tip two - measure out stripes to be about ¼ inch wide and as long as the white fondant box (about 5 inches).
Step 10 - Placing Red Stripes
- Tip one - using water and a small paint brush, brush water on the white fondant where you want the red stripe to go. You can also brush water on the stripe. Repeat around the whole cake.
- Tip two - on the edges use two red stripes to come together and cover up any gaps. Make sure you have the same amount of stripes on each side of the cake so it all looks uniform.
Step 11 - Making logo
- Tip one - roll out red fondant and white fondant on a surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
- Tip two - Cut out one red circle and one white circle. You want the red circle to be slightly larger than the white circle. Dip paint brush in water and spread water on red circle. Place white circle on top. Set aside.
- Tip three - cut out the letters you need for popcorn from the red fondant and place them the way you like on top of the circle you just made
Step 12 - Adding Details
- Tip one - pull out the fondant popcorn you made and place on top of the cake making sure you cover the whole top of the cake. You can always make more fondant popcorn if needed.
- Tip two - now place the logo. You can just use water to place it on the side that you want to be the front of your cake. Logo is slightly heavy, so hold it in place for a minute to make sure it does not slide off.
- Tip three - place in the fridge to ensure everything hardens and sets.
Step 13 - Final Reveal
- Tip one - have a cake base decorated beforehand to place your cake on if needed.
- All done!